Number fourteen of our weekly interviews in which we discover how real businesses are making Social Media work for them. Please meet Steve Preston from SMP Solutions (Career & People Development) Ltd and The Career Catalyst
Who are you and what do you do?
I wear two hats:
1. Director of SMP Solutions (Career & People Development) Ltd.
This is mainly targeted at Business to Business
- We specialise in outplacement support for companies making executive or professional staff redundant.
- We also offer a service to individuals wanting to proactively or reactively develop their careers, following redundancy.
- We offer training in management, team development and executive development as a service to companies.
2. Steve Preston, The Career Catalyst
This is mainly targeted at Business to Consumer
As a result of writing and promoting “Winning through Redundancy – Six steps to navigate your way to a better future”, I decided to develop a new brand to promote the book and associated products and services.
I act as a catalyst for people to help them achieve career and life change. I have a range of products:
- Online programmes
- MP3 downloads
- Books – “Winning through Redundancy – Six steps to navigate your way to a better future”
- Audio books – “I Want A Career Change” and “How Colourful is Your Umbrella”
- Master classes and personal coaching programmes
How do you use Social Media?
I have now moved away from traditional marketing methodologies and use Social Media as my primary method of marketing.
I use Social Media for The Career Catalyst in a tactical manner to develop brand recognition and to run campaigns to drive sales of the products. I link to articles where possible so that it does not look like I’m selling.
I have found SlideShare useful. I created some slides for a webinar and have put the slides onto Slideshare. I shared the SlideShare link through Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
I use all of Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, SlideShare, Blogging, YouTube, guest blogging and E-Zine.
Can you share a Personal Success Story?
I was found on LinkedIn by an ex colleague from 30 years ago. This led to them getting their employer to agree to a programme of executive career transition training support, which helped to transform her career and life and referral business for us.
Using LinkedIn groups to get involved in discussions and help in a non-threatening way has led to more enquiries than I get on my website.
Can you give our readers a top tip?
It takes time to develop a profile, presence and brand online so have patience. Remember, nothing happens without positive action – so you do have to do something. Don’t forget to give, don’t just take, when using social media.
You can contact Steve on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter (SMP Solutions), Twitter (The Career Catalyst), SMP Solutions Ltd, The Career Catalyst, YouTube (The Career Catalyst), YouTube (SMP Solutions Ltd) SMP Solutions Blog